- Prenatal vitamins should be discussed with the doctor. Folic acid, along with some other key vitamins and minerals, are key to the healthy development of a fetus.
- Hydrating regularly is another must during the entire pregnancy. Water helps the woman's body flush out waste, helps with the prevention of constipation, and helps eliminate or prevent other possible pregnancy problems.
- Proper nutrition not only helps the mother feel better during pregnancy, but also gets needed nutrients to the developing baby.
- Sleep/Rest is essential for the mother; she's carrying on her regular life while providing a home for millions of cells to come together in making a baby.
- Exercise, even if it's just an occasional walk, is important to get the blood pumping, relieve stress, and stretch the muscles and tendons.
- Finding a positive frame of mind. A positive outlook is important to keep from developing unnecessary stress, and passing that stress on to the baby.
- Regular check-ups with the OB; the doctor will perform routine checks to ensure that the pregnancy is progressing as it should. Also, any concerns can be discussed with the doctor and possible problems can be avoided or at least mitigated.
Monday, March 12, 2012
It can be one of the most exciting times in a couple's lives when they find out they'll be having a baby. But once the woman find out that news (even before conception), there are things that she should be doing for optimal pregnancy health.