Top Blogs





Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Found Myself in an Authoritarian Style of Parenting Today

I like to think that I use an authoritative style of parenting.  This parenting style provides boundaries, but gets the child involved in some of the decision making and also the consequences of the decisions.  Those who use the authoritative parenting style show their kids that they are valued through their interactions.

But I found myself in authoritarian parenting mode today.  I was barking orders at my kids and then just found myself frustrated with them.  I was definitely "talking at" them instead of with them.

It wasn't a good day.

Fortunately, I can do something about that.

I believe in active parenting, part of which means to evaluate my interactions with my kids similarly to what I might do with my friends or business associates and then make adjustments if I need to.

I'll do better tomorrow.  I'll be more open to listening, talking with them, and try to have more patience than I did today.  Mostly, I'll remember that they're little adults in the making, and be more flexible with them as it relates to the boundaries that don't need to be so firm.

.

If you'd like to get more tips and join a discussion with other parents, come see my site, Positive Parenting with Purpose, and visit these pages for more specifics on: the types of parenting styles, active parenting, parenting talk, and parenting stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment