Top Blogs





Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sun Safety for Kids

Today one of my boys had a baseball game.  It started at 10:00 a.m. and it's only mid March, so I didn't think about putting on sunscreen.

When I think about the fact that I'm headed to the dermatologist to have a skin check in a couple of weeks, I think that my kids are really relying on me, as their parent, to protect their skin when they're too young and too carefree to think about doing it themselves.

The sun was a little fierce today at the ball park. Next game, I'll do a better job of making sure my child is lathered up with sunscreen prior to heading out.

After doing a fair amount of research, I've come to know that it DOES matter what quality of sunscreen you use.  It makes a huge difference if you research and find the best sunscreen, based on sunscreen ratings, but also based on the type of barrier used (i.e., what type of chemicals are used to provide the protection, etc.), the viscosity of it and/or the length of time it will actually stay on the skin.  Of course, if it's dermatologist recommended should also be a consideration.

Aside from sunscreen, there are many types of spf clothing that can also provide some extra sun protection, including an spf shirt.  Now days, some spf clothing has become quite trendy.  Because of this, there is a huge array of styles of different types of swim shirts, casual wear shirts, swim suits, and sun suits available.  Check them out!  They can help protect the skin of your children (and can do it without them even knowing!)


For more information about sun protection, see my page on sun safety for kids.  You can also find some info on the five signs of skin cancer, some information on kids swimwear, beach hats, and also baby sun hats.  Come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment