Top Blogs





Thursday, August 23, 2012

Changing a Baby's Diaper - The Odor of Yours Vs Others

For those of you that have to go through the regular changing of a baby's diaper, I am wondering if you experience the same thing that I do.  Please note that today's blog is more based on curiosity than on anything having to do with good parenting, but sometimes I just have to go there.

I have had several kids.  I'm used to changing diapers.  It's old hat by now.  I currently have two that are much older and one that is still a baby and because of that, goes through about 10 diapers a day.  (How such a small thing could be so constantly eliminating heaps of waste, I'll never know.) 

When I notice that my little guy needs a diaper change, it stinks.  That's usually the main sign that the child is dirty, right? I go to change the baby's diaper and there usually is a small little nugget, but it is packed with smell!  Here's the question though:  How come, when I go to change other people's babies, they seem to smell ten times worse?

I have a niece that I love very much.  Even so, when I'm getting her cleaned up and into a fresh diaper, it is totally putrid.  I love her.  I love my own kids.  Why do the others smell so bad?  Is there something about changing a baby's diaper -- a baby that doesn't come directly from you -- that makes it so intolerable?  (At one point, I was beginning to think that it was some weird kind of defense mechanism...)

Any ideas?

Come visit my pages for more serious information about baby diapers, the baby diaper change process, potty training girls and boys, and general potty training signs. Find all of this and more at Positive Parenting with Purpose!

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. I've noticed that to and wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family was recently blessed by a new addition to our family. Prior to Brody's arrival, we repainted his room and added, Air-ReNu to the paint. We have no odors in the room from the diaper pail and his freedom of expression(poop). Air-ReNu
    cleanses the air of impurities and removes odors. Infants are significantly more vulnerable to poor indoor air quality

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for that info, VRVS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diaper changes can be an ugly business. Even when your baby or toddler is at her most cooperative, it can be gross. And when she’s squirming, arching her back, screaming and flailing her limbs, a diaper change can get awfully messy very fast

    ReplyDelete